Keto pasta recipe “Miracle Noodle” Basil Macadamia Nut Pesto with Roasted Wild Mushrooms
The miracle noodle or Shirataki noodle is a very low-carb pasta alternative for those on the Keto diet and prefer to skip the usual spaghetti squash alternative to pasta. Shirataki noodles are gluten, soy, and dairy free; they also have zero net carbs, which is perfect for those on the Keto diet. The noodle is a popular ingredient among many Asian cuisines and derives from a type of yam. The appearance of Shirataki noodles are translucent and require zero cooking.Thoroughly rinsing the noodles under cool water for approximately five minutes is the only real cooking time the ingredient needs. So have your other elements for the recipe ready and hot.
This Keto pasta recipe incorporates a rich pesto sauce with omega fatty acid rich macadamia nuts along with wild mushrooms for an easy recipe that is quick to make. You can top the pasta with grilled meat, poultry, fish, or jumbo prawns for an extra kick of protein.
You can find Shirataki noodles online or at specialty Asian markets in your local area. The noodle comes in many shapes; although angel hair is the most common one to buy. This recipe calls for angel hair cut noodles, but you can use any type of noodle shape.
Makes: 6 servings
For the pesto
· 4 ounce package fresh basil, roughly chopped
· 1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
· 2 lemons, juiced
· 1/2 cup whole macadamia nuts
· 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
· 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
· 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
· Kosher salt and pepper to taste
For the pasta:
- 16 ounce package Shirataki angel hair noodles
- 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. wild mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Roma or plum tomatoes, finely chopped
Make the pesto:
1) Place the basil, parsley, lemon juice, nuts, garlic, and parmesan in a food processor and blend for 1 minute. Turn the motor on high and slowly add the oil in a thin steady stream until all amount is added. Continue to blend the pesto for 45 seconds. Transfer the pesto to a container with a fitting lid and season with salt and pepper. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the pesto, secure with the lid, and place in the refrigerator.
Make the pasta:
1. Heat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper together. Add the mushrooms and toss to combine.
3. Evenly scatter the mushroom mixture onto the baking sheet and roast the mushrooms for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
4. Place the noodles in a colander and rinse under cool water for 5 minutes. **It is important to thoroughly rinse the noodles for the above time. It will soften the noodles and rinse away any off flavor. Shake the excess water from the colander and leave the noodles in the sink to continue to drain.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pesto and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes; tossing the ingredients to combine. Add the reserved noodles and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Check for salt, toss in the tomatoes, and serve at once.